[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Michael Brown <knightmb at knightmb dot dyndns dot org>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] How to track what's taking up the bandwidth?
 Date:  Fri, 14 Jul 2006 14:13:17 -0500
Use m0n0walls "Firewall States" to do this.  It's under the
"Diagnostics" tab.  Click "Start new" at the top to begin a new
snapshot, then come back to this at anytime to and click "View Delta" to
see which computer is using the most. It puts the largest at the top.
Given that it also shows port numbers, you'll know if it's a web server,
ftp server, p2p, etc that is eating all the bandwidth.  I'm certain you
can even wait until a month later and it should still work provided you
haven't cleared the latest snapshot to reset all everything. It won't
get you a fancy graph, but seeing which number is the biggest will at
least give you an idea of which computer is the bandwidth hog.

Thanks,
Michael