[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Buechler" <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] How to track what's taking up the bandwidth?
 Date:  Fri, 14 Jul 2006 22:48:47 -0400
On 7/14/06, Chuck Mariotti <cmariotti at xunity dot com> wrote:

> So, I need to desperately find out where the hell my bandwidth is
> going...
>
> How can I easily find out which machines on my network going through my
> Monowall is using up all the bandwidth?

I'd recommend checking out ntop.  Easy way to get it going would be to
use the virtual appliance here:
http://www.vmware.com/vmtn/appliances/directory/388  Not Windows, but
easy to run VMware Player or Server on Windows and run it that way.

On the switch m0n0wall's LAN is connected to, you'll need to mirror
m0n0wall's LAN port to the port the ntop machine is running on.  If
you don't have a managed switch, you'll have to connect a hub or
network tap between m0n0wall and your internal network and plug the
ntop machine into that.

-Chris