[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  YvesDM <ydmlog at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  PC hardware specifications.
 Date:  Sat, 15 Jul 2006 16:37:45 +0200
Hi,

I need to setup a few monowalls in the near future.
All of them will use the captive portal connecting to a radius server for
authentication and accounting.
Users will vary from 4 to 30 on the different monowalls.
I was wondering what kind of pc hardware will be ok to do this monowall job?
I will use a CF2IDE adapter and  a compact flash card to boot from.

So far I've set up a PII 400MHz  system with 128MB ram and a 128MB CF card.
It's doing fine and the memory use sits at only 19%, but there hasn't been
much stress on that machine so far.
Only a max. of 4 users now and no traffic shaping or so.

What are you guys experiences on more heavy loads?
What CPU?, amount of RAM?, etc. do you use?

Many tnx
Yves