[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  SDamron <sdamron at gmail dot com>
 To:  "Wilko Lunenburg" <wilko at sassenheim dot net>
 Cc:  m0n0wall <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] PC hardware specifications.
 Date:  Sat, 15 Jul 2006 10:04:31 -0500
For home use, I am using a nokia ip330.  For a work system, I use a
1RU Dell server with a 1ghz celeron proc, and 1 gig ram.(old cisco IPS
sensor)  This gets used ALOT for VPN (50 users) and has a load of
firewall rules, and it runs about 25% on the proc, and about 30% on
memory when really loaded down.  I also syslog all the logs off to an
internal syslog server.  I have never had any problems with the Dell.
The nokia is kinda labor intensive to get setup, but runs very well
for my family, which is generally about 5 people, or 10 machines,
varying from Macs to PCs.

On 7/15/06, Wilko Lunenburg <wilko at sassenheim dot net> wrote:
> YvesDM wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I need to setup a few monowalls in the near future.
> > All of them will use the captive portal connecting to a radius server for
> > authentication and accounting.
> > Users will vary from 4 to 30 on the different monowalls.
> > I was wondering what kind of pc hardware will be ok to do this monowall
> > job?
> > I will use a CF2IDE adapter and  a compact flash card to boot from.
> >
> > So far I've set up a PII 400MHz  system with 128MB ram and a 128MB CF card.
> > It's doing fine and the memory use sits at only 19%, but there hasn't been
> > much stress on that machine so far.
> > Only a max. of 4 users now and no traffic shaping or so.
> >
> > What are you guys experiences on more heavy loads?
> > What CPU?, amount of RAM?, etc. do you use?
> >

> I use it for our company, some 20 users and one vpn to a remote
> location. The machine is a HP Brio with a Celeron 300a with 128MB ram, a
> 4GB harddisk and three Intel Pro 100 network adapters. I don't know
> about the exact load but the processor stays *cold* all day.
>
> Wilko Lunenburg

"Nothing on earth can overcome an absolutely non-resistant person."