[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  SDamron <sdamron at gmail dot com>
 To:  g7ltt at g7ltt dot com
 Cc:  m0n0wall <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] m0n0 on WRAP very slow
 Date:  Sat, 15 Jul 2006 10:14:25 -0500
Yes....If I were you, I would not remove their actiontec router.  I
have tried to do away with several of these for people, and had
nothing but problems.  Not matter which router I used, it did not
perform as the actiontec does.  The router they provide is optomized
for their network, and you will lose no matter what you replace it
with.  I have tried M0n0, linksys, d-link, and others, but they all
had a performance hit.  I have not been able to figure out what the
big difference is, but there is one.

On 7/15/06, Mark Phillips <g7ltt at g7ltt dot com> wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I had Verizon's FIOS installed yesterday. I am the first household to
> have the new ActionTec router installed which has WiFi/4port
> switch/firewall/cable TV.
>
> Doing speed tests against Broadstar in Miami via DSLreports.com I get
> something like 9800kbps down and 1800kbps up. Not bad considering I'm
> quoted as 10mbps down and 2mbps up.
>
> Here's the kicker. When I remove the ActionTec and install the
> WRAP/m0n0wall in its place my speed tests drop down to 7000kbps down and
> 800kbps up. Wait a minute; I've lost over half my upload speed and
> almost a third of my download.
>
> Could it be that the WRAP board is not the best platform for routing?
>
> For those of you wanting to try this I found that I had to clone the mac
> address of the ActionTec onto my WRAP before it would work.
>
> Thanks
>
> Mark

"Nothing on earth can overcome an absolutely non-resistant person."