[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Lee Sharp" <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
 To:  "Jonathan De Graeve" <Jonathan dot DeGraeve at imelda dot be>
 Cc:  "m0n0wall" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Version 1.22 freeze
 Date:  Wed, 19 Jul 2006 23:50:09 -0500
From: "Jonathan De Graeve" <Jonathan dot DeGraeve at imelda dot be>

>>> If the http doesn't work anymore: the mini_httpd still seems to run,
>>> even if you wait 10seconds the page doesn't show up?

>>IE, Firefox, and Opera all timeout.  The error we get called on is "the
>>inter net is down."

>Is it possible to do a sniff on a newly connected machine giving me the TCP
>snifs to
>actually see what's happening?

I am almost never on site, so this is not easy.  Few random hotel gests have
sniffers with them. :-)

>>AFIK, all of the systems doing this are not using RADIUS, but only a
>>splash
>>page acceptance authentication.  Would this still make a difference?

>This is actually handfull information and GREAT news for me (sorry ;) )
>this means
>it isn't related to the radius subroutines I wrote which is REALLY good
>news to me.
>The bad news is, if it doesn't have something todo with the max httpd proc
>it is
>something in the code related to local user authentication which then must
>be broke
>somewhere. (so I need to check all that code because I didn't write the
>local user
>manager stuff)

>You are really 100% sure this only happens on systems WITHOUT radius right?

The problems only occur in heave use hotels, and our paid Radius sites don't
have near the use.  They are set to "no authentication."

>>> Well, it contains bugfixes that ain't incorporated into 1.22, it should
>>> be more stable ;)

>>I can try it, or wait to see it break again to gather more information.

>Since you are talking about having more then 1site with this behaviour I
>would
>suggest upgrading 1 to 1.23b1 and leaving the other to gather more
>information on this issue.

Since it happens so rarely, I will leave it "broken" and try to gather more
information.  Had one today, but was rebooted before I was called.

                                            Lee