[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Michael Brown <knightmb at knightmb dot dyndns dot org>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] OT - Increasing Bandwidth
 Date:  Fri, 21 Jul 2006 12:27:15 -0500
M0n0wall won't dual WAN (it can handle multiple IP address but only on
the same WAN link).  So about the only option that might be close is
this below.

If you want to keep m0n0wall in the loop, use it for the T1 (servers).

Go buy a cheap (netgear, dlink, linksys, etc) NAT router, get the
Cable/DSL and change it's (cheap router) IP address to something unique
but in the same network range as your internal network.  Turn off DHCP
on m0n0wall and use the DHCP of the cheap NAT router.  Assign static IPs
to your servers and make sure they use the gateway address of m0n0wall.
Everyone else will DHCP through the cheap router and all of their
network traffic will flow through it.  All network traffic for the
servers will flow through m0n0wall.  This way you have two Internet
pipes moving through the same network. It would only cost the small
amount of getting a simple NAT firewall/router to mix in with the rest
of the network. Would certainly be cheaper than a full T1, but everyone
else will lose traffic shaping and other m0n0wall goodies, but I guess
as long as it doesn't affect the servers then let them fight over the
Cable/DSL bandwidth, hehe.

Example Network diagram, all of this on the same network

66.11.55.111 -> 192.168.0.1 ->  192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.5
        T1 ->            M0n0wall ->                Servers

55.11.22.222 -> 192.168.0.10 -> 192.168.0.11 to 192.168.0.254
DSL/Cable ->     Cheap Router ->           DHCP Everyone else