[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  scott dot k at facilitywiz dot com (Scott Karch)
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  traffic shaping and viop
 Date:  Fri, 21 Jul 2006 13:25:09 -0500
Hi all. I must be doing something wrong but can't figure it out.

I can't seem to get traffic shaping to limit inbound traffic different than
outbound traffic. I am trying to get my IP phone to connect to the office
and have max priority inbound and outbound. All other traffic should wait
for the IP phone traffic. FWIW it's a Mitel phone system.

PIPES
I have the inbound and outbound pipes set to about 5% less than my actual
throughput. I only have 2 pipes listed.

No.  	Bandwidth  	Delay  	PLR  	Queue  	Mask  	Description
1 	580 Kbit/s
m_Total Upload
2 	4000 Kbit/s 	  	  	  	  	            m_Total

QUEUES
I have 4 queues. 2 for the mitel in and out with 100% weight and 2
restricted with 50% weight for everything else. I'll make it more detailed
once I get this working.

No.  	Pipe  		Weight  	Mask  	Description
1 	m_Total Upload 	100 	  			mitel out
2 	m_Total Download 	100 	  			mitel in
3 	m_Total Upload 	50 	  			out restricted
4 	m_Total Download 	50 	  			in
restricted

RULES

Ok, this is where I've really been experimenting

If  	Proto  	Source  	Destination  	Target  	Description

LAN<>	* 		LAN net 	64.1.127.201 	mitel out
mitel out
WAN<> * 		64.1.127.201 LAN net 		mitel in
mitel
WAN<>	* 		* 		* 			out rest..
restricted out

I've been hitting http://speakeasy.net/speedtest to punish my line for my
phone test. The above setting throttles the traffic of the speed test to
around 400k up and down. What can I do so from inside the LAN I can restrict
the upload speed to the OUT RESTRICTED queue 400kbs and downloads to the IN
RESTRICTED for around 3000kbs

Changing the rules to inbound vs outbound? If my computer connects to
speakeasy and tries to download something.. is that still considered
outbound because I initiated it? I'm not even worried about external
connections to my internal servers now. I just want to make sure if I'm
uploading or downloading something from my home computer that my IP phone
still have priority. I realize I don't have a separate IN REST... incoming
rule, but everyting I do that, I get full download speed that kills my VOIP
phone.

Thanks, hope this makes sense