[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Buechler" <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Load balancing accross multiple DSL lines
 Date:  Sun, 23 Jul 2006 01:09:26 -0400
On 7/23/06, Harout S. Hedeshian <harout at hedeshian dot net> wrote:

> Get one or two more DSL lines. Hook all 3 DSL lines in to M0n0wall. Disable NAT in > m0n0wall and
use is strictly as a firewall. So far, that doesn't seem too impossible.

Depending on how you do it, it's probably either impossible (no
multi-WAN support of any type in m0n0wall) or ugly (you could do
something like a filtered bridge, so m0n0wall is transparent on the
network, but that gets a little ugly with 3 ISP's on the same
broadcast domain).

> But, here is the deal. Can m0n0wall handle load balancing?

No.

> And, lets say each DSL line is 1.5Mbits downstream, will it give me one stream at
> 4.5MBits or 3 x 1.5MBits streams (ie threads on an SMP box, to draw a parallel)?

Without involvement from the ISP(s) using something like BGP,
*nothing* can do 4.5 Mbps over three 1.5 Mbps links with a single
connection.  If you use something that can load balance across the
three, without involvement from your ISP(s), you can get 4.5 Mbps of
aggregate throughput, but no more than 1.5 Mbps on a single
connection.  For example, without something like a download manager
that makes multiple simultaneous connections, a single HTTP or FTP
download could never exceed 1.5 Mbps.

For an open source m0n0wall-like firewall with load balancing and
multi WAN support, check out pfsense.

-Chris