[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Craig FALCONER <cfalconer at avonside dot school dot nz>
 To:  'Aaron Cherman' <aaronc at morad dot ab dot ca>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] VLAN's, QoS, bandwidth hogs
 Date:  Mon, 24 Jul 2006 15:30:31 +1200
Depends on lots of things of course - but building in flexibility is the
name of the game :)

You're right in everything except running a port straight from the switch to
a modem - that means no real traffic control.  That switch port should run
into the firewall's LAN or OPT port.

If this hasn't been cabled yet then absolute minimum two runs of cat6 to
each apartment, and proper cat6 inside each apartment too.  Consider what
other services will be offered in the next 10 years and whether you can
allow for that.  Maybe even run some coax for cable TV/whatever is
available.

Another option is more OPT interfaces, each with some apartments hanging off
them - 2 with 12 each, or 3 with 8 each?  Spread the load a little.

That said - its good to buy the server for now, cos in three years when
speeds have gone up 10x then a new box is easy.  Its hard to upgrade wiring
in place though.  ( I still have some cat3 in the walls here)