[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Buechler" <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] VLAN's, QoS, bandwidth hogs
 Date:  Sun, 23 Jul 2006 23:50:37 -0400
On 7/23/06, Aaron Cherman <aaronc at morad dot ab dot ca> wrote:

> First, I think m0n0wall can only handle a certain number of interfaces (I'm
> not 100% sure on this).

32 is the official maximum.  In theory, the only real limitation is it
can only run a DHCP server on 32 interfaces, if you don't need the
DHCP server it should work with more than that.

> Most managed switches can have port based VLANs
> configured in them - meaning you can set which ports can see which ports.

Unless this is an ancient Cisco switch, this should be possible.
PVLAN (Private VLAN) is probably what you want to look into.  This can
allow everyone to be on the same IP subnet, but not allow any of the
apartments to talk to any of the other apartments.  Individual VLAN's
could accomplish the same thing, but this may be easier to deal with.
Also, I'm not sure if the "share bandwidth equally" works across all
interfaces.

-Chris