[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Tim Vaughan" <talltim at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  network connection problem with an HP 2424M switch and m0n0wall
 Date:  Tue, 25 Jul 2006 13:20:33 +0100
This may just be a standard networking problem so apologies if it's
not directly m0n0wall-related.

I have m0n0 running on a WRAP 1C-2 and a second hand HP 2424M managed
switch.  I want to connect the switch directly to the LAN port on the
m0n0.

However, when I connect the two ports directly with a normal
straight-through network cable, there is no connection; nothing lights
up and the port is shown as off on the switch config page.  However,
if I put a normal non-managed switch between the m0n0wall and the
2424M, the connection works.

This made me think that I needed a crossover cable - however, when I
made one up the I ran into the same problem - no connection with just
the cable but a connection with a switch in between.  Basically, it
looks like the WRAP flat out refuses to talk directly to the managed
switch without an unmanaged switch in between.

Any suggestions?  I've tested all the cables I'm using and they are
fine so I'm pretty sure it's not my crimping that is the problem.

Cheers,

Tim