[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl dot org>
 To:  Tim Vaughan <talltim at gmail dot com>, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] network connection problem with an HP 2424M switch and m0n0wall
 Date:  Tue, 25 Jul 2006 15:17:45 +0200
On Tue, Jul 25, 2006 at 01:33:21PM +0100, Tim Vaughan wrote:

> Thanks for the reply - no, the 2424M is a plain old 10/100 switch.  I
> got it off Ebay in order to learn how to set up VLANs but so far
> haven't got past this problem :(.

I have an unrelated question: I have a managed switch (with an IP
for administration). I would like to use a mini-ITX system with
two NICs as a firewall. If I'm to define a port 1 (where the switch
is connected to the router) and port N on the mini-ITX as belonging
to the same VLAN, and port M on the mini-ITX as well as everything
else on the network belong to another VLAN, then I should be able
to 1) use the mini-ITX system to protect any system but the switch
IP 2) by removing the VLANs I should be able to recover from a
misconfigured or defect firewall.

Is this correct thinking?

If I do the above, can I still do VLAN isolation of each
individual host on the switch? (how?)