[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Harout S. Hedeshian" <harout at hedeshian dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Load balancing accross multiple DSL lines
 Date:  Sat, 22 Jul 2006 22:51:49 MDT
Hello,
      Right now I have a DSL line with 5 static IP addresses for my servers. The DSL modem has a
built in NAT which is disabled and is running in some sort of a bridge mode (actually, it is running
unnumbered static ips. it's an actiontec model). The DSL modem is hooked up to a 100M switch with
the servers on it. Effectively, the server are hooked up directly to the internet with no firewall.

What I would like to do is the following:
Get one or two more DSL lines. Hook all 3 DSL lines in to M0n0wall. Disable NAT in m0n0wall and use
is strictly as a firewall. So far, that doesn't seem too impossible. But, here is the deal. Can
m0n0wall handle load balancing? Will it use the bandwidth of the aditional DSL lines? And, lets say
each DSL line is 1.5Mbits downstream, will it give me one stream at 4.5MBits or 3 x 1.5MBits streams
(ie threads on an SMP box, to draw a parallel)?

Currently:

1.5x1
DSL --> Switch --> { [s1] [s2] [s3] [s4] [s5]}

What I want:
  1.5x1  1.5x1  1.5x1        4.5x3 or 3x(1.5x1)
{ [DSL1] [DSL2] [DSL3] } --> M0n0wall --> Switch --> { [s1] [s2] [s3] [s4] [s5]}
(basically, m0n0wall will have four NICs, 3 wan, 1 'lan')

Would monowall need to use one of the 5 static ip's? Would it need one for each external nic? how
about the internal one?

Please advise me. Thanks in advance for your help.

Thanks,

Harout Hedeshian