[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "James W. McKeand" <james at mckeand dot biz>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] CF Card Booting Woes - can't load 'kernel'
 Date:  Tue, 25 Jul 2006 10:31:31 -0500
Michael Rohde wrote:
> Jai,
>
> This may not help solve the problem but it is one more data point.  I
> have had similar problems with some older motherboards (i.e. A-OPEN
> MX6E) when trying to use the Transcend IDE Flash modules.  It may
> simply be the BIOS does not support the device.  I have been looking
> for the exact problem but have not resolved it yet.
>
> Mike

(http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=017&item=2700047179
63&r
> d=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1)
>
> I have tried the adaptors in 4 different PCs but to no avail!
>
> I am experiencing a weird boot error - the same as the bottom of this
> post - http://m0n0.ch/wall/list/showmsg.php?id=3/79
>
> I get "can't load 'kernel'" errors consistantly - with both cards and
> using different CF/IDE images including the latest beta. Any ideas? I
> have had the
> 1.22 boot successfully on the same card via a USB Card reader however.
>
> Confused!
>
> Thanks!
> Jai

Sometimes, when you write the image using a USB reader then try booting
from the CF-to-IDE adaptor you may have issues with the disk being
recognized - I remember posts awhile back about drive geometry being
detected differently or something like that.

A solution might be to boot from Chris's Live Install CD:
http://www.chrisbuechler.com/index.php?id=17 (i.e. have the CF-to-IDE
adaptor and a CDRom in the target system...) Install the base system
(v1.11), configure, then upgrade to current.

James W. McKeand