[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Lee Sharp" <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] CF Card Booting Woes - can't load 'kernel'
 Date:  Tue, 25 Jul 2006 11:07:49 -0500
From: "Jai Ketteridge" <jai at innaloo dot net>

Several potential issues here, so I will try and go in order.

> Ive been successfully using m0n0 with the CDrom and FDD method for
> sometime
> but I am now venturing into running it off a CF card. I have purchased 2
> Sandisk 256MB Cards and Im running these CF to IDE adaptors - as seen here
> (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=017&item=270004717963&r
> d=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1)

I have not, nor do I know anyone that has used this unit.  It may be
incompatible with FreeBSD.  However, we can try some things...

> I have tried the adaptors in 4 different PCs but to no avail!

All the same type?  Or more specifically, all the same BIOS?  This BIOS and
this card may have a fundamental incompatibility.

> I am experiencing a weird boot error - the same as the bottom of this
> post -
> http://m0n0.ch/wall/list/showmsg.php?id=3/79
>
> I get "can't load 'kernel'" errors consistantly - with both cards and
> using
> different CF/IDE images including the latest beta. Any ideas? I have had
> the
> 1.22 boot successfully on the same card via a USB Card reader however.

Well, the card is good...  If you boot Chris's live cd installer, can you
see the drive?  Can you write it that way?  Note that if you 'cd' to /tmp,
you can 'wget' the latest version from the web in Chris's environment.

If all else fails, go into the BIOS, and set the hard drive manually.
Auto-detect can cause this problem on some systems.

                                    Lee