[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl dot org>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] network connection problem with an HP 2424M switch and m0n0wall
 Date:  Tue, 25 Jul 2006 18:37:33 +0200
On Tue, Jul 25, 2006 at 12:27:08PM -0400, Chris Buechler wrote:

> >to 1) use the mini-ITX system to protect any system but the switch
> >IP
>
> yes.  You can also protect the switch's IP by setting up a dedicated
> management VLAN.  All decent switches support this.

I actually want the switch IP to remain before the firewall
(it's locked down to a couple of specific IPs anyway).
That's not a bug but a feature, in case I screw up with
the firewall rules.

> >2) by removing the VLANs I should be able to recover from a
> >misconfigured or defect firewall.
> >

> No.  When you have VLAN's, it's the same as having a bunch of
> individual switches.  Different broadcast domains, and different IP

Exactly -- with the management IP giving me the possibility to undo
the damage, by fusing the virtual switches into one again.

> subnets on each.  If there isn't anything to route between them, your
> network is dead.

Actually the switch can do some minimal routing, but I don't
think I will need it.

> >If I do the above, can I still do VLAN isolation of each
> >individual host on the switch? (how?)
> >

> Depending on what kind of switch, you may be able to put all hosts in
> a single VLAN and prevent them from talking to each other (google
> PVLAN, and/or check out the docs for your switch).

Thanks.