[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Buechler" <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] network connection problem with an HP 2424M switch and m0n0wall
 Date:  Tue, 25 Jul 2006 15:56:36 -0400
On 7/25/06, Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl dot org> wrote:

> > No.  When you have VLAN's, it's the same as having a bunch of
> > individual switches.  Different broadcast domains, and different IP
>
> Exactly -- with the management IP giving me the possibility to undo
> the damage, by fusing the virtual switches into one again.

Not without reconfiguring the IP, mask, and gateway on every client
machine you can't.

> Actually the switch can do some minimal routing, but I don't
> think I will need it.

I'd check that more closely.  Unless this is a pricey higher end
switch, chances are it isn't L3 capable (i.e. it won't route).  If it
*is* L3 capable, you probably want to throw any firewall out of the
picture and let the L3 switch do what it's designed to do.  Any switch
that can route is going to be dramatically faster than any firewall.
And I've yet to see a L3 switch that can't filter, though the
interfaces are usually less desirable than m0n0wall's.  If you don't
care about super fast routing performance and want an easy to use
interface, then m0n0wall is probably the way to go.

-Chris