[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  <support at sjobeck dot com>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  VLAN's, QoS, bandwidth hogs
 Date:  Sun, 23 Jul 2006 19:52:33 -0700
Dear All,

Big fan of m0n0wall.

Thanks to all for superb work.

Here is my situation that I would love a point in the correct direction
by someone who has been there before or who knows how to pull this off:

* Apartment building
* DSL
* Each apt ought to be on its own VLAN
* Each apt to see internet but not each other
* Cisco switch (don't know model ... yet)
* A few serious bandwidth hogs (need to reign them in)

Can I create 24 VLAN's, one for each switch port, as handled by the
switch; or can I create 24 VLAN's on the m0n0wall?; can QoS be applied
to all of the VLAN's? I think the regular "QoS wizard" will be just fine
for us without too much tweaking since I can enable "share bandwidth
evenly across LAN", if that setting (in this situation) means "share
evenly across all VLAN's".

Peace.

Thanks so much.

Jason Sjobeck