[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Buechler" <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] 6.1 Port
 Date:  Tue, 25 Jul 2006 21:44:00 -0400
On 6/25/06, Chris Flugstad <chris at cascadelink dot com> wrote:
> Any news on anyone porting this over to 6.1?

What you can see here in the dev list archive and the SVN logs is it.
Basically nothing has been done other than what Dinesh has provided
from the 1.3 alphas that have been released.  Nobody has put any
serious effort into it in quite some time, at least not that anybody
knows about (and Manuel asked everybody to post to the dev list if
they were working on it).

> Just dont wanna start in on a 80 hour project

80 hours?  You're *seriously* underestimating the amount of effort
this is going to take.  At dinner tonight with the pfsense devs here
at the pfsense hackathon, they had a good laugh at this suggestion.
:)  It's probably near 40-50 hours of testing alone, much less porting
the kernel patches that are still required, reworking various
components for the differences between FreeBSD 4.x and 6.x, any
changes between ipf 3.x and 4.x, etc.  It's probably 3-4 times as much
effort as you're estimating, at a minimum.

I don't want to discourage you from doing it by any means, as it's
direly needed and it doesn't look like anybody with the required skils
has any real interest in it.  I don't have the programming skills to
do so, or I'd be working on it/helping with it.

-Chris