[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Aaron Cherman" <aaronc at morad dot ab dot ca>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] VLAN's, QoS, bandwidth hogs
 Date:  Sun, 23 Jul 2006 21:11:35 -0600
> * Apartment building
> * DSL
> * Each apt ought to be on its own VLAN
> * Each apt to see internet but not each other
> * Cisco switch (don't know model ... yet)
> * A few serious bandwidth hogs (need to reign them in)
>
> Can I create 24 VLAN's, one for each switch port, as handled by the
> switch; or can I create 24 VLAN's on the m0n0wall?; can QoS be applied
> to all of the VLAN's? I think the regular "QoS wizard" will be just fine
> for us without too much tweaking since I can enable "share bandwidth
> evenly across LAN", if that setting (in this situation) means "share
> evenly across all VLAN's".

First, I think m0n0wall can only handle a certain number of interfaces (I'm
not 100% sure on this).  If it could handle all 24 VLANS, plus the LAN and
WAN, it still seems to me like the hard way of doing this.  Can I assume the
building has 24 units?  Each with a home-run to the switch?  Does the switch
have trunk ports?  Most managed switches can have port based VLANs
configured in them - meaning you can set which ports can see which ports.
So all you would have to do is make sure that the only port all of the units
can see is the one going to the DSL modem.

If I am wrong, someone else please correct me.

Aaron