[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Ryan L. Rodrigue" <Ebay at aarelectronics dot com>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] network connection problem with an HP 2424M switch and m0n0wall
 Date:  Wed, 26 Jul 2006 13:40:20 -0500
Not to offend you, just a quick vlan lesson.
An untagged (port based vlan) designates vlans based on the port of the switch they are plugged in
to.
A tagged vlan bases this on a field in the packet and thus requires a card that understands this.
tagged vlans are also known as 802.1Q
all ports on the router must be a member of at least one vlan (tagged or untagged).  If you remove
the last vlan on a port you will get a orphan error on that HP switch.
A port can be a member of multiple Tagged vlans, but at most 1 untagged vlan.
there are no "trunk ports" for vlans in hp switches.  You only need to add all vlans to that port as
tagged vlans.
If you find an option for a truncked port in your switch, it is a switch meshing thing that HP uses
and not like cisco trunck port.  each vlan is its own ip network and must not be in the same subnet
as any other vlan else you will have problems.  i like 10.0.1.0 /24 = vlan 1, 10.0.2.0 /24 = vlan
2... you can use whatever meathod you like best depending on the number of vlans you need vs. host
on each.