[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Bob Young" <bob at lavamail dot net>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Monowall WAN is default block, but I can call into my VoIP anyway ??
 Date:  Wed, 26 Jul 2006 18:13:43 -0400
The default firewall rule on the WAN interface of my Monowall firewall is:
"all incoming connections on this interface will be blocked until you add
pass rules".  I only have the RFC 1918 block rule set up.nothing else.   So
I understand that the WAN interface has all incoming ports blocked.

With those ports blocked, that makes me think that I should not be able to
receive any incoming VoIP calls (my VoIP company  uses ports 5060, 5061 and
20000-30000 for operation).  Well my Monowall firewall screen says all those
ports are blocked until I add a pass rule.  I do not have such a pass rule
for my VoIP ports.  So.

How come I can still call to my VoIP phone (by way of the "blocked WAN
ports" of my Monowall?  (I can call my VoIP phone from my cell phone or any
other phone I use).

Thank you in advance for your help,

Bob