[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Buechler" <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Monowall WAN is default block, but I can call into my VoIP anyway ??
 Date:  Wed, 26 Jul 2006 18:21:08 -0400
On 7/26/06, Bob Young <bob at lavamail dot net> wrote:

> How come I can still call to my VoIP phone (by way of the "blocked WAN
> ports" of my Monowall?  (I can call my VoIP phone from my cell phone or any
> other phone I use).

The state table.  The phone has to be making some sort of outbound
connection to the provider, over which they can push calls in to you.
Probably very common with residential VoIP providers especially, since
it requires no network configuration and is somewhat more secure since
you don't need to open ports inbound to the phone.

-Chris