[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]
 From:  "Jonathan De Graeve" <Jonathan dot DeGraeve at imelda dot be>
 To:  "Chris Buechler" <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>, <m0n0wall dash dev at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Version 1.22 freeze
 Date:  Wed, 26 Jul 2006 11:51:52 +0200
> We've also determined that it's not only situations where ipfw is
> loaded or not loaded that it happens.

I've been thinking about the CP related issue this night (I know, I
better should be sleeping then, can't help it)

I was wondering if calling ipfw so many times could have a serious
impact on the kernel. In the case of having 100users authenticated this
would relate in ipfw being called like 1,6666 times a second for
statistics, etc...

Wouldn't it be better (at least if this could help gain us performance)
to dump the statistics once a minute and calculate everything from the
dump? (less system calls by using a buffer)

Jonathan De Graeve
Network/System Engineer
Imelda vzw
Informatica Dienst