[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Tim Nelson <tnelson at fudnet dot info>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] 6.1 Port
 Date:  Wed, 26 Jul 2006 08:35:27 -0500
Quoting Dinesh Nair <dinesh at alphaque dot com>:

>> the 1.3 ALPHA images of m0n0wall are based on freebsd 6.1 and yes,
>> they're still in alpha stage so they do have bugs. this can be
>> downloaded from the m0n0wall downloads page.
>>
>> in addition, the sources and kernel patches for the 6.1 version have
>> been available from m0n0's subversion repository under
>> branches/freebsd6.
>>
>> as i'm (seemingly) the only one using and testing 1.3 at the moment,
>> development is admittedly a little slow. i'd welcome more to the
>> effort, especially on platforms i dont have inhouse (WRAP, net48xx) to
>> test on.
>
> Dinesh,
>
> I have a spare WRAP here that I'd happily use for testing of the 6.1
> version. Just tell me what needs testing and I'll get on it. I've got
> Linux and Windows clients here. Feel free to email me directly or
> start a new thread on the list.
>
> Personally, I'd really like to see m0n0 move forward with better
> hardware compatibility, improved wireless support etc. pfSense is
> great but I still think there's a place for m0n0wall :)
>
> Cheers,
> Chris Taylor

I am also available for testing! I have a Nokia IP330 and an IP440 that
I could put to use for this task. Of course, various x86 boxes are also
lying around that could be used as well.

pfSense seems to be mentioned quite frequently here. Many times, it is
offered as a replacement to monowall. Yes, it does have more features
but I have found it to be not as stable as m0n0(even in spite of the
[m0n0wall] Version 1.22 Freeze thread...). Also, it has a larger
footprint that is not suitable for many of the platforms m0n0 can run on
reliably. Both have their place and function however I still believe
m0n0 to be superior.

Please let me know how I am able to help!

--Tim