[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Buechler" <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] network connection problem with an HP 2424M switch and m0n0wall
 Date:  Thu, 27 Jul 2006 12:54:17 -0400
On 7/27/06, Ryan L. Rodrigue <Ebay at aarelectronics dot com> wrote:
> Thanks chris
> So i was correct in saying that all vlans need to be on there own subnet.  At least if you plan on
using mono.

Yes.  If you plan on using anything with VLAN's that'll be true.

There's one exception I'm aware of - there have been some developments
in OpenBSD and/or FreeBSD recently (I don't recall offhand which, for
sure) that should make their way to all the BSD's where you can create
all your VLAN ports with every machine on its own VLAN, and trunk a
port to your firewall, bridge the VLAN's all together and apply
filtering between each/any/all ports.  So they're still on the same IP
subnet, but a transparent bridging firewall can examine everything on
the entire network.

-Chris