[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Jason Collins" <jason at mammothcomputers dot com>
 To:  <jai at innaloo dot net>, <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] RE: CF Card Booting Woes - can't load 'kernel'
 Date:  Fri, 28 Jul 2006 07:29:34 -0500
About a year back I wrote in the list of how picky Intel boards are with
devices they will boot to.  I tried all manner of CF adaptors, readers,
etc... and the only units I could get to work outside of USB flash disks
were the transcend IDE modules.  My advice if you are going to be using
an Intel motherboard, even an OEM Intel board in a Dell server (I think
they're all really foxconn anyway)is that you use the Transcend module
and nothing else unless you enjoy pulling your hair out.  Also, someone
mentioned not liking the transcend modules because he had to write the
image in a different machine and then install them.  Here's how I do it:

Ingredients:
External CDROM
USB flash drive with physdiskwrite and mono PC image on it
Completed build with Transcend module installed

Steps:
1. Attach external CDROM and USB flash
2. Boot from CDROM using Windows PE disk (I use a Server 2003, but I
think WinXP PE would work fine)
3. PE automatically boots to command line to run physdiskwrite -- the
Transcend is usually assigned C: as a drive letter and the USB flash D:

Hope it saves people some time.

jason

From: "Jai Ketteridge" <jai at innaloo dot net>

> Hi Mark. These are plain old 256MB cards - not ultra 2

> I have 2 Dell SC430 and none of them boot with the IDE convertor - but

> do boot with a USB Card Reader (but not a successful boot to the
> console
> menu)

Will they even boot IDE?  All the options I see from Dell are SATA and
SCSI, not IDE.

> I have now tried the IDE convertor in 4 P4 machines with no luck but
> tried an old P2 HP machine tonight and it worked first time!

What machines?

> Im a little reluctant to put a 7 year old machine into a business for
> a firewall though!

I have a good 25 Dell GX200s which are P3 866 systems, and so far none
have failed.  Good used equipment can be better than cheap new
equipment.

                                Lee