[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Anson Ringenoldus <ansonr at spruitje dot org>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Speed problems
 Date:  Sat, 29 Jul 2006 09:48:22 +0200
>Bryan K. Brayton schrieb:
>
>>What were you using for a router/firewall previous to m0n0?  And the
>
>Nothing, the office is brand new.
>
>>upload was OK with that I assume?  What do you use for a dsl modem?
>
>The modem (bridge without any routing
>functionality) is noname, we got it from our
>ISP. If i use it without m0n0 everything is fine.
>
>Bye for now!
>Have a nice weekend!

I have seen this problem before with certain DSL and cable modems.
The problem is that the modem buffers the data and send them in bursts.
It could also be that you are using a too short
ethernetcable between the modem and the router.
I've solved a lot of problems by replacing the
networkcable with a longer cable.
in one case only a cable of at least 3 meters solved a lot of problems.
According to the ethernet standard a cable should
be at least 66 cm in lenght between two devices.
Mvgr,
Anson

Toasty the toaster (Red dwarf)

ansonr at spruitje dot org