[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Michael Pope" <spotnruby at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Windows Clients Going Offline Often
 Date:  Sun, 30 Jul 2006 17:55:37 -0400
We are having some weird issues on a brand new Windows SBS network and I'd
appreciate any ideas of where to look. The physical subnets have been
separated with an internal m0n0wall. This was done as per the recommendation
of a regulatory compliance consultant to our client. Here's a network
diagram:

http://www.rtpcomputer.com/uploads/Network%20Diagram.htm

The primary symptom that we're experiencing is that the clients are going
offline randomly and frequently. It seems to happen more often if you are
accessing a share on the server. Offline Files and Folders are enabled on
the My Documents folder which has been redirected to the server. I can
synchronize and go online and then a few seconds or a few minutes later, it
can knock me offline again. This can happen even while a large Internet
download is occurring and the http traffic will have no problems. It also
doesn't create problems with the connections between Exchange and Outlook
which are configured to use RPC/HTTPS.

The client NICs are reporting no errors and no collisions. The m0n0wall is
reporting no errors in its logs and no collisions on all of its NICs. The
event logs are clean on the clients and the server. There are no ISA alerts
and Live Logging shows no traffic from the Internal network is being denied.

So far, here is what I have done:

- Added the server's LAN adapter to the Internal Network. This resulted in
the Internal network having the following IP addresses:
 192.168.110.0  - 192.168.110.255
 192.168.110.0 - 192.168.111.255
 192.168.226.0 - 192.168.226.255

- Added the following persistent routes on the server:
  Network Address          Netmask  Gateway Address  Metric
    192.168.111.0    255.255.255.0    192.168.110.1      20
    192.168.226.0    255.255.255.0    192.168.110.1      20

- Turned on EnablePMTUPathDiscovery at the server and rebooted the server

- Turned off ISA connection limits

Right now, here's where my thinking is headed:

- I'm thinking of installing the 898060 and 899148 hotfixes and then
enabling Server2003NegotiateDisable.

- I'm also thinking of disabling strict RPC compliance in ISA.

- I'm also wondering if enabling Autodisconnect on the server will help.

As you can see, all I can see is the symptom - I don't yet know what the
actual problem is so I'm entertaining all kinds of solutions. Has anyone
heard of this symptom before? Do you have any recommendations? Is there
anything in the m0n0wall that I can set to help me diagnose or fix this
problem?
Thanks,

--
Michael Pope

RTP Computer Services, Inc.
"Making Today's Technology Work For You"

http://www.rtpcomputer.com/