[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  krt <kkrrtt at gmail dot com>
 To:  Bob Young <bob at lavamail dot net>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] LAN/WISP block or WAN block ?
 Date:  Sun, 30 Jul 2006 22:41:26 -0700
Rules are for inbound to the interface only.

You can simplify the rules that you have by blocking all sources to UDP
1900 on each interface.

Instead of applying this to your WISP interface:
Block | UDP | WISP net | * | * | 1900 | Block UPnP

Just apply this:
Block | UDP | * | * | * | 1900 | Block UPnP

The same goes for your LAN interface.

This simplifies the sorting that must go on with the rule before it's
processed, and it prevents randomly IP'd machines (say, in martian
subnets) from broadcasting stuffs outbound.

You might want to have these rules at the bottom of any local interface,
since the policy is to default deny anyways:

WISP Interface:
Penultimate) Permit | ANY | WISP net | * | * | * | Permit WISP Net Out

Ultimate) Block and Log  | ANY | * | * | * | * | Beware all packets ye
who enter here

LAN Interface:
Penultimate) Permit | ANY | LAN | * | * | * | Permit LAN Out