[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Jai Ketteridge" <jai at innaloo dot net>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: - [m0n0wall] RE: CF Card Booting Woes - can't load 'kernel' - SOLVED!!
 Date:  Sun, 30 Jul 2006 17:42:49 +0800
Well after a BIOS update and some further investigation I have found out the
issue.

I updated the board BIOS to the latest revision and tried another brand of
CF card. I tried a Kingmax 256MB card and it was detected as a Hitachi CF
Card. It booted all the way up to the console screen! I was overjoyed to see
the CF adaptor and board worked ok and now it was clearly the Sandisk card
that was causing isses. I set the drives to auto detect and noted their
settings.

Both CF cards supported LBA mode and the main difference was that the
Hitachi/Kingamax Card auto detected to use PIO mode 1 and the Sandisk
Autodetected to use PIO mode 4. I manually changed the PIO mode to 1 for the
Sandisk and it booted just fine!

Now I can deploy a brand new firewall! Yipee!

Thank you everyone for your help! I hope this thread may help others in the
future

JK

From: "Jai Ketteridge" <jai at innaloo dot net>

> Hi Mark. These are plain old 256MB cards - not ultra 2

> I have 2 Dell SC430 and none of them boot with the IDE convertor - but

> do boot with a USB Card Reader (but not a successful boot to the
> console
> menu)

Will they even boot IDE?  All the options I see from Dell are SATA and
SCSI, not IDE.

> I have now tried the IDE convertor in 4 P4 machines with no luck but
> tried an old P2 HP machine tonight and it worked first time!

What machines?

> Im a little reluctant to put a 7 year old machine into a business for
> a firewall though!

I have a good 25 Dell GX200s which are P3 866 systems, and so far none
have failed.  Good used equipment can be better than cheap new
equipment.

                                Lee