[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Bob Young" <bob at lavamail dot net>
 To:  <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
 Cc:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] LAN/WISP block or WAN block ?
 Date:  Tue, 1 Aug 2006 00:46:26 -0400
Hi Lee and everybody:

Thank you Lee for your reply.

I see you are a WISP provider also.  I have done some WiFi in hotels.  But
I'm just starting a WISP operation.  Learning Monowall is the last hurdle
before I start handing out my WISP door hangers.

I'm working on learning the firewall now and getting to where I feel ok
about it.  After that I will work on learning the traffic shaper.  I hope to
get through the traffic shaper this week.

Gee, I hope I don't get a lot of people looking at porn.  In my Terms of
Service, I have spelled out that I don't want my WISP system used for
porn.p2p also.  I'll use the info you mentioned to see who the BW hogs are.
If they use too much BW, I'll lower their speed, in the Traffic Shaper (I'm
hoping to get that figured out this week).

From what I see of Monowall, I think it will be a real good device to use in
a WISP system.

Do you also agree that I should block only certain bad data, but allow the
rest?...at least for a WISP site?  I assume that is the way you do it for
your WISP network?

Thanks,

Bob