[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Bagnall" <m0n0wall at minotaur dot cc>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] VoIP Traffic Shaper rule ?
 Date:  Tue, 1 Aug 2006 19:13:50 +0100
> 1.	In the preceding Traffic Shaping rule, I see the IP
> address of the
> telephone adapter is being used, instead of prioritizing on
> the data packets
> 5060 and 5061.   Since different VoIP companies could use
> ports different
> then 5060 and 5061 and also some dynamic ports between 20000
> - 30000, I would think it would be best to prioritize on the
> actual IP address of the
> telephone adapter (like the screen shot page shows).   Is
> that thinking
> valid ?

Yes, it's a wise move if you're using SIP. The RTP streams usually exists on
a block of 4 random ports between 10000 and 30000 (but depending on the
hardware or software you're using, you could probably narrow this down
some).

If you're using IAX2, you can usually get away with just applying QoS to
port 4569 on the box.

> 2.	In my LAN network, my VoIP telephone adapter connects
> into the LAN
> interface.  So wouldn't I want to use "LAN" as the Interface,
> rather then WAN?  I don't know why WAN is used in the
> Monowall example, since most VoIP adapters would probably
> plug into a LAN interface.

Not really, you want the prioritization on traffic coming to or from the WAN
interface. Given most folks are running 100mbps or gigabit networks, I doubt
packet prioritization on the lan side is a big deal (and if it is, you'll
want to do this at the switch level).

> 3.	Wouldn't I also want to prioritize download (inbound)
> VoIP also?

Yes, I'd say so, though others may disagree. Again, you want it acting on
the WAN interface, not the LAN interface for the same reason as above. The
interface the device is connected to isn't relevant here, since you want the
prioritization to apply to the 'net, not to the local network.

Regards,

Chris