[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "James W. McKeand" <james at mckeand dot biz>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Firewall Source & Destination choices ?
 Date:  Tue, 1 Aug 2006 15:28:50 -0500
Bob Young wrote:
> For the Firewall Source & Destination choices, I see:  Single host or
> alias, Network and WAN address.
>
> I'm not quit sure when and where these would be used.
>
> I'm not sure which Network is being referred to.  I imagine it would
> be an xxx.xxx.xxx.0/24 address to designate it?

Correct. If you wanted to block (or pass) traffic from a specific IP
network (xxx.xxx.xxx.1 to .254) you can do so with a network. The only
example I can think of for this is if you knew which network you are
being attacked or spammed from, you could block the traffic.

> I'm also not sure which WAN address is being referred to.

The IP assigned to the WAN interface. I cannot think of an example for
this one...

James W. McKeand