[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Jeffrey Goldberg <jeffrey at goldmark dot org>
 Subject:  Gateway out of WAN net
 Date:  Sat, 5 Aug 2006 21:51:52 -0500
Verizon Business FiOS, in their infinite wisdom, has assigned me

  72.64.118.112/29

(Actually, they just told me that I've got 72.64.118.114-118)

They have told me that my gateway is 72.64.118.1

They only way I've been able to get things to work is by lying about
my WAN configuration, and assigning 72.64.118.1/25 to it.

This works fine.  But of course it will fail if I ever try to contact
anything in the /25 range that isn't in my true /29 range.  That is
unlikely, but still in principle this bothers me.  I am going to
attempt to reach Verizon customer support for other reasons, but can
someone point me to the relevant RFC I can cite when I tell them that
their arrangement is broken?

If people have useful experience dealing with ISPs about this kind of
problem, I'd be happy to listen to any advice.

-j