[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Bob Young" <bob at lavamail dot net>
 To:  "'David W. Hess'" <dwhess at banishedsouls dot org>
 Cc:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] VoIP voice quality surprise
 Date:  Sun, 6 Aug 2006 00:51:31 -0400
Hello David, Chris and Seth:

I'll do one reply to thank you all for your replys.

I had someone from a forum remote into my Monowall and noticed I had "low
delay" set for TOS for the incoming data.  For some reason that low delay
TOS setting overrode my low BW setting.  I just assumed I was supposed to
have the low delay set for VoIP.  But that is what was causing my incoming
audio data to still sound good and made me think the pipe wasn't working.

Interestingly enough, the low delay setting for outgoing data did not over
ride the low BW setting.  Even with TOS low delay on, when I set the
outgoing data to 25 Kbs, I had stuttering audio.

Low delay TOS seemed to override the BW setting for incoming VoIP data, but
not for outgoing VoIP data.  I don't know why.  So the question is, since
this is for VoIP, should I have TOS low delay on or off for VoIP data?

"To shape outgoing traffic, the rule has to be on the LAN or OPT interface.
To shape incoming traffic, the rule has to be on the WAN interface.  In
practice this means the direction field has to always
be set to "In" and the rule has to be placed on a specific interface to set
the direction."

Dave, regarding what you said about the outgoing and incoming traffic and
the interfaces, I have been confused on this also.

I saw something where a couple writers say all the shaper rules were to be
on the WAN interface.  But what you say about using the LAN and OPT1
interfaces makes sense too.  It's sometimes difficult to know for sure what
interfaces to use for the shaper rules.  Would be good to hear from other on
this.

Thanks to all,

Bob