[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Buechler" <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] throughput on a 16mbit wan connected to wrap/soekris board
 Date:  Sun, 6 Aug 2006 01:47:48 -0400
On 8/5/06, jmk <jjmmkk at gmx dot net> wrote:
> hey,
>
> i was wondering if the wrap or soekris boards can handle a 16mbit dsl
> connection. i read somewhere that m0n0wall has issues with connections
> greater than/equal to 10mbit on wrap/soekris systems. is that still the
> case?

No, and it never has been (though a Soekris 4501 isn't a whole lot
faster than that).  You can scale up to over 40 Mbps on a WRAP or
Soekris 4801.  A Soekris 4501 will do about 17 Mbps max, but I
probably wouldn't suggest using one on a 16 Mb connection if you plan
on really beating it up.  The occasional burst to 16 Mb wouldn't
bother me, but I don't like running anything at 90+% utilization for
any length of time.

Why?  Lack of CPU.  m0n0wall is by far the most efficient firewall
distribution, so you'd be looking at much slower speeds with anything
else, if you're comparing.

There can be numerous issues with any firewall, router, or other
network device that cause performance problems, so if you do run into
problems, post some specifics and someone should be able to help.

-Chris