[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Kimmo Jaskari" <kimmo dot jaskari at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] OT Strange Virus?
 Date:  Sun, 6 Aug 2006 19:13:42 +0300
On 8/3/06, Ryan L. Rodrigue <Ebay at aarelectronics dot com> wrote:

> did you try yanking the HD out of the machine and adding it to another machine as a spare > and
running the virus and malware scans?  I have done this and am yet to get a virus I have > not been
able to get rid of.

Anyone administrating boxes (be they Windows or any other kind) should
have a bootable CD to run antivirus etc scans from. One a Windows box
is rooted, it's completely untrustworthy until you zap the drive and
reinstall from scratch (more so than a Windows box is usually, I
mean.)

The bootable CD will save you having to physically remove a disk and
plugging it in elsewhere and will still give you a solid scan with
little chance of malware blocking it.

http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/ for instance is a great way to make your
own bootable Windows XP environment that runs off a CD and lets you
install antivirus etc other programs on the CD itself.

--
-{ Kimmo Jaskari }--{ kimmo dot jaskari at gmail dot com }--

Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to
find easier ways to do something.
  - Robert Heinlein