[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Bob Young" <bob at lavamail dot net>
 To:  "'David W. Hess'" <dwhess at banishedsouls dot org>
 Cc:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] VoIP voice quality surprise
 Date:  Sun, 6 Aug 2006 14:55:26 -0400
David:

You were right.

I went to my VoIP outgoing traffic shaping rule and made LAN the interface;
rather then WAN as I had it.  And I changed the direction to "in" rather
then "out", which I used for the WAN interface.

And I had control over my outgoing VoIP BW there also.

Gee. which interface is best to use?  WAN or LAN?  To me it would seem to be
more efficient to control the BW of my VoIP at the interface where it enters
my Monowall.

Right now my VoIP traffic shaping rules are using their own individual
pipes.  I have heard that virtual pipes might be more efficient?  Anyone
know where I can get some examples of using virtual pipes, setting BW  on a
per IP basis?

I thought I'd report this test, in case anyone wants to comment.

Thanks much to all,

Bob