[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Michael Brown <knightmb at knightmb dot dyndns dot org>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] VoIP voice quality surprise
 Date:  Sun, 06 Aug 2006 19:50:56 -0500
David W. Hess wrote:

> It would be nice if all the rules could be referenced to one interface for
> controlling both outgoing and incoming traffic but the nature of how the traffic
> shaper is currently designed does not permit it.  There are good reasons for
> this and in most applications the current simplicity outweighs any
> disadvantages.  Just get used to having incoming rules reference the WAN
> interface and outgoing rules reference the LAN interface.

Not to derail this excellent topic, but I have to ask why you use the
LAN to do outgoing rules when using the WAN for both Incoming and
Outgoing works just the same and little easier to keep track of mentally
(Incoming = Anything from the WAN to my local IP && Outgoing = Anything
from my local IP to the WAN) ?  For my VoIP adapters,  I use rules that
allows their IP address (local LAN) highest priority on the outbound and
inbound and don't worry about pipe size since I know they won't use more
than 100 Kb/s per line at any time.  I'm not trying to split hairs, but
often I'll see in this mailing list to keep all your rules on the WAN
side to make things easier and not worry about LAN side traffic shaping
rules even though they can do the same thing.

Thanks,
Michael