[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Bob Young" <bob at lavamail dot net>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] VoIP voice quality surprise
 Date:  Mon, 7 Aug 2006 14:42:42 -0400
Hi guys:

I wanted to report back on what someone told me on another forum regarding
whether to use WAN or LAN for traffic shaping.   This seems reasonable.

I just found this out recently on another forum.after I wrote here about
using either LAN or WAN for shaping.

This fellow said the reason he thought WAN should be used (rather then the
LAN side) was that the speed on the WAN side (1.5 Mb from my dsl) was much
slower then the LAN side (100 Mbs).  The speed on the WAN side is much more
constrained on the WAN side to start with he said.

I assume Monowall must have an easier time of traffic shaping since the
speed on the WAN side is slower?

Bob