[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  colin at ccsisupport dot com
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Initial install on Compaq Deskpro 4000 failing
 Date:  Tue, 8 Aug 2006 17:08:55 -0600 (MDT)
Greetings everyone;

I've been trying to get m0n0wall working on an old Deskpro 4000 (PII,
233MHz, 192MB RAM, no hard drive) with the generic CDROM image and floppy.
I can configure the IP addresses properly (WAN=DHCP, LAN=static, no DHCP
service) and then assign the NICs to the appropriate networks, and then
reboot. This is when the two problems come.

1) The machine hangs as soon as the OS is unloaded, and never reboots.
This seems to be a pretty common problem with the Deskpros, and is easily
worked around by power-cycling the machine.

2) On boot, the NICs do not come up on the network. In order to get the
LAN NIC working, I have to reassign the NIC to the LAN. After that it's
fine until the next reboot.

3) The WAN won't get an address at all. I suspect that this is actually
the same problem as 2, but on the other NIC.

Any ideas? Item #2 (and potentially 3) are the only real show-stoppers at
this point.

Thanks,
Colin