[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Neil A. Hillard" <m0n0 at dana dot org dot uk>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Initial install on Compaq Deskpro 4000 failing
 Date:  Wed, 9 Aug 2006 01:04:29 +0100
Hi,

In message
<45099 dot 204 dot 209 dot 24 dot 2 dot 1155078535 dot squirrel at mailhub dot ccsisupport dot com>,
colin at ccsisupport dot com writes
>Greetings everyone;
>
>I've been trying to get m0n0wall working on an old Deskpro 4000 (PII,
>233MHz, 192MB RAM, no hard drive) with the generic CDROM image and floppy.
>I can configure the IP addresses properly (WAN=DHCP, LAN=static, no DHCP
>service) and then assign the NICs to the appropriate networks, and then
>reboot. This is when the two problems come.
>
>1) The machine hangs as soon as the OS is unloaded, and never reboots.
>This seems to be a pretty common problem with the Deskpros, and is easily
>worked around by power-cycling the machine.
>
>2) On boot, the NICs do not come up on the network. In order to get the
>LAN NIC working, I have to reassign the NIC to the LAN. After that it's
>fine until the next reboot.
>
>3) The WAN won't get an address at all. I suspect that this is actually
>the same problem as 2, but on the other NIC.
>
>Any ideas? Item #2 (and potentially 3) are the only real show-stoppers at
>this point.

Not sure what NICs you've got but my experience with a dual-port Compaq
card with the TI ThunderLAN chipset wasn't good.

The card would detect a link but would pass no traffic, until an
ifconfig was executed!  Go into /status.php.

Please report back if this is the same for your setup and also let us
know what NICs you have.

HTH,

                                Neil.