[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  colin at ccsisupport dot com
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Initial install on Compaq Deskpro 4000 failing
 Date:  Tue, 8 Aug 2006 20:40:13 -0600 (MDT)
> Hi,
>
> In message
> <45099 dot 204 dot 209 dot 24 dot 2 dot 1155078535 dot squirrel at mailhub dot ccsisupport dot com>,
> colin at ccsisupport dot com writes
>>Greetings everyone;
>>
>>I've been trying to get m0n0wall working on an old Deskpro 4000 (PII,
>>233MHz, 192MB RAM, no hard drive) with the generic CDROM image and
>> floppy.
>>I can configure the IP addresses properly (WAN=DHCP, LAN=static, no DHCP
>>service) and then assign the NICs to the appropriate networks, and then
>>reboot. This is when the two problems come.
>>
>>1) The machine hangs as soon as the OS is unloaded, and never reboots.
>>This seems to be a pretty common problem with the Deskpros, and is easily
>>worked around by power-cycling the machine.
>>
>>2) On boot, the NICs do not come up on the network. In order to get the
>>LAN NIC working, I have to reassign the NIC to the LAN. After that it's
>>fine until the next reboot.
>>
>>3) The WAN won't get an address at all. I suspect that this is actually
>>the same problem as 2, but on the other NIC.
>>
>>Any ideas? Item #2 (and potentially 3) are the only real show-stoppers at
>>this point.
>
> Not sure what NICs you've got but my experience with a dual-port Compaq
> card with the TI ThunderLAN chipset wasn't good.
>
> The card would detect a link but would pass no traffic, until an
> ifconfig was executed!  Go into /status.php.

That seems to be the exact problem. The onboard NIC is, in fact, a
ThunderLAN (tl0). My second NIC is a pcn0, whatever that is. (Intel,
perhaps? Labelled HP, I believe.)
As for the /status.php, this shows the interface up and healty--after I
reassign is on boot, which presumably does an ifconfig.

> Please report back if this is the same for your setup and also let us
> know what NICs you have.

As above. Furthermore, I swapped around tl0 and pcn0, so that pcn0 was
the LAN. Configured this way, I can't see any network activity no matter
what I do. From my reading through the archives, I see that the pcn
driver formerly wasn't supported. Might have an unusable card here.

Thanks,
Colin