[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Lee Sharp" <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Initial install on Compaq Deskpro 4000 failing
 Date:  Tue, 8 Aug 2006 22:48:55 -0500
From: <colin at ccsisupport dot com>

> I've been trying to get m0n0wall working on an old Deskpro 4000 (PII,
> 233MHz, 192MB RAM, no hard drive) with the generic CDROM image and floppy.
> I can configure the IP addresses properly (WAN=DHCP, LAN=static, no DHCP
> service) and then assign the NICs to the appropriate networks, and then
> reboot. This is when the two problems come.

I used to work for Compaq when those came out.  (One of my first posts to
thsi list was about this)  Nice box at the time.  Rotten card.  Since I was
in events, and we did the trade shows, we were the first to notice the
autonegotiation problem with the cards.  The driver was rewritten to bounce
the interface on startup to work around this.  You can insert a shell
command in the config.xml to do this.  Just an ifconfig down, and ifconfig
up will do it.  As to the PCN, just get a new card.  And the power
management you turned off is why the reboot will not work...  Turn power
management back on with no sleep settings.

                                Lee