[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  colin at ccsisupport dot com
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Initial install on Compaq Deskpro 4000 failing
 Date:  Wed, 9 Aug 2006 21:55:31 -0600 (MDT)
> From: <colin at ccsisupport dot com>
>
>> I've been trying to get m0n0wall working on an old Deskpro 4000 (PII,
>> 233MHz, 192MB RAM, no hard drive) with the generic CDROM image and
>> floppy.
>> I can configure the IP addresses properly (WAN=DHCP, LAN=static, no DHCP
>> service) and then assign the NICs to the appropriate networks, and then
>> reboot. This is when the two problems come.
>
> I used to work for Compaq when those came out.  (One of my first posts to
> thsi list was about this)  Nice box at the time.  Rotten card.  Since I
> was
> in events, and we did the trade shows, we were the first to notice the
> autonegotiation problem with the cards.  The driver was rewritten to
> bounce
> the interface on startup to work around this.  You can insert a shell
> command in the config.xml to do this.  Just an ifconfig down, and ifconfig
> up will do it.  As to the PCN, just get a new card.  And the power
> management you turned off is why the reboot will not work...  Turn power
> management back on with no sleep settings.

Unfortunately, zero for two.

I turned the power management ON, but turned off all of the sleep
timeouts, and the system still hung on shutdown. Also, I tried adding
the following to the end of the <system> section of config.xml

<shellcmd>ifconfig tl0 down</shellcmd>
<shellcmd>ifconfig tl0 up</shellcmd>

But no luck there. From what I've read of the docs, this is the right place
for it, but I could be wrong.

Curiously, I find that tl0 comes up on the wire the instant that I
answer "do you want to set up VLANs now?" I don't even get as far as
choosing an interface for the LAN, and it's up.

Stranger and stranger.

Thanks,
Colin