[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Lee Sharp" <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] neighborhood wireless access point + chipset compatibility
 Date:  Sat, 12 Aug 2006 18:59:35 -0500
From: "eric martinez" <capybara at linuxmail dot org>

>  i heard the latest ver of monowall doesnt support the atheros chipset.

Correct.  However, an AP is not a card.  What your AP is maters not to m0n0.

> i was thinking of a 400 mw WAP based on the engenius/senao

I have several of these.  Good power, but the firmware sucks wind.  Often
has partial locks and requires reboots.  Someone on the list recommended
zinwell APs to me, but I have yet to try them.  I have used a LOT of WRT54Gs
with Thibor and external boosters.  Fantastic APs!  (I just disable WAN)
You can even daisy chain using the built-in switch.

>  If thats true, then i dont understand the support problem for atheros
> chipsets.

This only counts if you want the wireless card inside the m0n0wall firewall
directly.  No on really does this, as host-ap is a poor AP.

                                    Lee