[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  fuchikoma <fuchikoma at gmail dot com>
 To:  "Benedikt Thelen" <thelenb at student dot ethz dot ch>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] wireless cards
 Date:  Wed, 16 Aug 2006 09:09:31 -0500
I was thinking of doing the same, and then I read this:
16.24. Should I use m0n0wall as an access point?

Manuel Kasper, author of m0n0wall, posted the following to the m0n0wall
mailing list on December 29, 2004.

If you want to be really happy with your wireless, then by all means
buy a real dedicated AP. hostap just never matches the performance
and reliability (not even under Linux) of a *good* AP, and is only
intended as a solution for people who absolutely need to do
everything on one box.

Chris Buechler has this to add:

I have a 2511MP+ in my 4501, though honestly, I don't use it
much anymore for anything other than m0n0wall testing.  I got
a Linksys WRT54G to use for wireless.  FreeBSD 4.11's hostap
just plain sucks IMO.  It's starting to show its age (the 4.x
version is several years old).  There are many newer cards
you just can't get to connect to it no matter what (more than
half the b/g and a/b/g cards I've tried), some that require
configuration changes to connect, and in general it's just
a pain.  Given the cost of miniPCI cards, a Linksys or
similar is a good alternative for about the same cost - just
bridge the wireless over to an OPT port on m0n0wall, as I do.

Things should improve very much in the next m0n0wall version,
including support for a/b/g cards and none of the pains of
4.11's dated hostap, so you may want to hold off for a few
months or so if you can.