[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Peter Allgeyer <allgeyer at web dot de>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] make it "beep" when booted?
 Date:  Sat, 19 Aug 2006 21:26:18 +0200
Am Samstag, den 19.08.2006, 10:48 +0100 schrieb A dot L dot M dot Buxey at lboro dot ac dot uk:
> Isnt the usual development method to implement functions which arent major
> changes to the whole system IF people want them?
The usual development method to implement functions is, write the code,
you're interested in, sent it to Manuel or one of the other devs and ask
them to include it in next version. If Manuel thinks it's useful, the
code might find its way to the next version. If not: use a patched
m0n0wall with your own code. Sorry, but there isn't something like a
democratic way of development in m0n0wall and I'm sure, that's good.

> Certainly there are features
> in m0n0 that I dont use, or didnt want and didnt ask for - but they are
> there; because some people wanted them.
And other people thought that the code is useful enough to include it.

> another adjunt. features are added because 'competing systems' have them.
> Once again, IPCop has a beep so to stop the few people that go 'but XXXX has
> it, why doesnt m0n0 have it' int his trivial example there is no reason why
> not to.
Implementing something I'm probably not convinced of only because I'm
tired of that discussion isn't any really good way to go. Please
understand that there has to be a strong maintainer that has the last
word. Even if it doesn't suits you.

SCNR.

> 1) block packets by matching CNAME or TXT in the packet... but that, of course,
> would involve massive amounts of false hits and un-diagnosable application
> failures for all normal/valid users
> 2) reengineer the DNS to reject CNAME/TXT queries from the range of IPs
> which are captivated
Both would mean to have a possibility to pass traffic to layer 7 for
parsing the content. I don't know any possibility in FreeBSD at the
moment (though Linux/netfilter is capable of that).

> there...thats better than dicussing beeps (and now I'll be hit for thread hijacking etc etc etc)
You got it! I'm really tired of discussing nullities like making a
firewall beep or not.

BR, PIT

 copyleft(c) by |           "...Unix, MS-DOS, and Windows NT (also known
 Peter Allgeyer |   _-_     as the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly)." (By